September 9, 2011

This feels normal.

Josh and I have been married for nearly three months now.




Our wedding feels like a long time ago.  The engagement, even longer (thankfully).



Puffy eyes and morning breath.  Lazy meals of macaroni and cheese with hot dogs.  Sweatpants and television.  Some days, lively chatter, other days, quiet contentment.  The apartment isn't always clean, but there is always hot coffee in the French press and several cartons of ice cream in the freezer. 



We have heard over and over, "Your first year will be really tough."  Sure, we've had a few tense conversations, but we've never gone to bed angry.  Living with your best friend is "really tough"?  It seems pretty easy!  I suppose we could argue about how to fold laundry, or how to arrange the furniture, or how much money to spend on groceries, but those things don't matter too much.  I think the "really tough" aspect of marriage is the absolute transparency.  My husband and I know each other intimately.  Our selfishness, laziness, and general quirks are on display to each other!  If we were to wield this knowledge selfishly, stacking next to it our own expectations, we would easily become critical, manipulative, or malcontent.   However, if we use this knowledge with wisdom and gentleness, then we strengthen and encourage each other.  So far, I think we are.

Married life is now the norm for us.  Normal is good, morning breath and all.

11 comments:

  1. LOVE this outlook on marriage. It's so true and some days I don't feel like it's easy to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been married for almost a year and a half and have yet to have our first fight. Sure we get frustrated sometimes, but never really fight. It hasn't really been hard for us yet. We've definitely found it "normal" to be married!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been married for 5 years and still feel that way. It is amazing how God uniquely formed the marriage relationship. Husband and wife can truly be one if they allow it. Embrace your spouse's quirks and foster strengthening your spouse, not according to your expectations or plans but according to HIS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat Mac n' hotdogs too! I love this post. so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been married for 10 years and we still eat the mac and hotdogs too! :D

    Love this post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been married almost a month and this sounds exactly like us! We love spending our free time together and all the little things are what matter to us. Everyone told us this would be our hardest year, but so far it's been great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. all of you ladies give me so much encouragement. I have christian friends who say the same thing. They have never really fought with their spouse. i believe that is purely the grace of God.

    I love this post.
    Praying I get my own version of this bliss some day.

    ♥cheche

    savedthrulove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that married life has been treating you so well! My husband and I are almost four months in now and couldn't be happier either. I understand that there is an adjustment period post-wedding but I think that you're so filled with so much love and excitement that no struggles could really detract from. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AH! we are so in the same boat! I've posted on this several times :) I love being married! We've been married 4 months next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and feel the exact same way! (even though I have only been married for a year.) You and your husband are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Faith,
    Lewis here from The Thought Report. Thanks for your support of the project, it's hugely appreciated. I just thought I would stop by to check whats the word on Sojourn of Faith and found a beautiful blog on what seems to be an amazing life. I'm very happy for you and Josh, and I wish you all the best with your degree. Absolutely fell in love with this post.
    Masha'allah,
    -Lewis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!