November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

"It has seemed to me fit and proper that [the gracious gifts of the Most High God] should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens." - Abraham Lincoln


Josh and I spent Thanksgiving Day with his roommate's family.  The homemade holiday dinner was delicious and comforting, and the afternoon which followed was refreshingly relaxing.  We played a competitive game of Monopoly (I was the first one out), ate pumpkin pie, sipped coffee, browsed Black Friday deals on Amazon, and finally curled up on the couches to watch "Elf."


The game was paused when we noticed this beautiful sunset outside.  We crowded onto the front porch and marveled at the painted horizon, unblocked by city buildings or street lights.  The creativity of God leaves me breathless.


Josh and I have been excitedly discussing plans for next year, and we even registered for wedding gifts at Target!  Our wedding day finally seems within reach, and we are living with joyful expectancy.  Unfortunately, my ability to focus on schoolwork has vanished.  I failed a theology quiz on Wednesday.  This was my first "F" at Moody, and shockingly, I didn't really care.  What is happening to Faith, the neurotic perfectionist who always gets an "A"?!  Faith is a little distracted right now.

What is the remedy for this inability to focus?  How can I maintain a healthy enthusiasm for my future without neglecting the present?  The answer?  A heart of gratitude!  Infatuation with the future seems selfish and unbalanced when I begin to praise God for the gifts of the present.
 
Thanksgiving is a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!