November 13, 2010

November... already?

It is a chilly, rainy day in downtown Chi-town.  It is a perfect day to stay inside, in my pajamas, sipping coffee and enjoying Panera bread smothered with Nutella.  I work tonight, then tomorrow night, then the next night, then the next.  Work and classes, classes and church, homework and friends, all interspersed with all-too-many episodes of "House" (my latest TV addiction).  Life in the Windy City is busy, often stressful, but altogether delightful.


Josh and I have reached the half-way point!  We have been engaged for 7 months, and only 7 months remain!  Yes, that is a long engagement, and yes, we are probably crazy.  Waiting is difficult, and finding time for quality time amidst the busyness is tricky!  Even our one "date day" has been permanently canceled due to changes in our work schedules.  Self-pity is always a temptation, but Josh and I are fortunately surrounded by caring friends, entrusted with numerous responsibilities which make time fly, and held fast by a great God.  And, we have the privilege of living in downtown Chicago!


I preached my second sermon last week.  I dealt with Genesis 3:1-8, and despite my intense preparation and writing and re-writing, I did not feel confident in the material or the delivery.  My energy seemed low and my manuscript not quite perfect enough.  However, the sermon went well, and it turns out that Dr. de Rosset really liked it.  She wrote on my evaluation sheet, "I hope that you take your speaking gift seriously."  After watching the DVD of myself (always cringe-worthy experience!), the affirmation of this esteemed professor began to sink in, and my ever-present self-criticism faded in light of this realization: God has allowed me to be good at this.  I have always enjoyed speaking, despite my introverted personality, and perhaps the Lord will give more opportunities to improve this gift during my life of ministry.  I certainly hope so!


This encouragement is a bright spot amid the fuzzy gray of uncertainty.  My communications major often seems not the right choice, too ambiguous for my already ambiguous future.  Trust in the Lord is key, persistence in the commitment which I made several semesters ago, a decision which has been recently confirmed by my fiance's transfer to the communications department.   Even our ministry focus seems to be merging!

"Where you lead us, we will follow."


[Photo credit goes to Alex Enzbigilis.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!