January 27, 2011

Are bloggers narcissists?


My favorite professor at Moody Bible Institute recently presented a compelling critique of the "clamoring, competing autobiographies" which plague the Internet.  I listened, spellbound, furiously scribbling notes and prayerfully examining my heart.  Questions flooded my mind.  Why do I blog?  Who am I attempting to impress?  Is my little web page of autobiography a petty invention, a misguided outlet of my creativity?  Most importantly, does it glorify my God?

Those who keep diaries and scrapbooks are rarely accused of self-absorption.  However, these creative disciplines are generally kept private, perhaps even sacred, laid inconspicuously on a bedside table.  Blogging is a less graceful art.  We craft our posts and edit our photographs, meticulously preparing ourselves for the public eye, and we cast our lines as fishermen, hoping to "hook" more readers who will stroke our egos with gushing comments.  (These comments consistently include adjectives such as "lovely" and "delightful," words dreadfully overused by the women of Blogger-land.)

Fellow bloggers, we must, we must re-examine our motives for blogging.  Despite our innocent desire to inspire others, our posts often do nothing more than propagate the self.  Through blogging we can find our very identities re-molded and neurotically maintained, all for the admiration of followers.

How can this be avoided?  We must prayerfully examine our hearts.  Mine is ridden with pride.  I want people to read about me, to admire me, to think that I am creative and beautiful, to believe that my life in Chicago is perpetually  marvelous.  I am the star of this little website, and the influx of comments boost my ego.

This is foolishness.  Oh, that I would write and photograph in order to glorify my God, in order to serve my smattering of readers!  I must speak of him more honestly, and the "little things" photographed must not be posted for the preservation of my image, but for the humble purpose of inspiring and delighting others with the beauty of the ordinary.

Ah, this, this sort of creativity produces a joyous optimism. It is the healthy outflow of a grateful heart, a heart which recognizes its own unworthiness of anything good.  Despite my wretched pride, my gracious God patiently prods me to repentance, and I can set about my daily doings with renewed vigor.  His existence defines all that I do and all that I am.  It is my goal that this "clamoring autobiography" will strike my readers with beauty.  Beauty not of myself, but of my God.

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting post, Faith. I just found your blog from reading about your win over at the Flowerchild Dwelling (congrats!) Somehow I'd never thought of blogging this way. My blog isn't about myself so much as it is about helping out the world so hopefully *crosses fingers* I don't have to re-examine everything, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how many times I have thought about this very same thing. I have always kept a journal and scrapbook, and have started blogging this past year too. I must admit that I struggle here. I question my motives sometimes. Even still, I love to write, craft and take pictures...so what do I do? I've been praying about it a lot lately and hope for more clarity.

    Thanks so much for this! I certainly find reason to glorify God because of you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok i must say Fantastic post.

    i myself think about this at times. when i first opened my blog it was to vent my feelings through it with out any of my family/friends knowing it.my new current blog is about me and my husband. i guess instead of remembering my past i can actually see it ,and read what i was feeling at the time. my blog is basically my own history book about my life. and i love going back to capture that emotion again.

    Hope the windy city is treating you well. bundle up!

    <3 Razz ( from miami)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved, loved, loved this post. Totally agree with you! We, as bloggers, are *so* guilty of being narcissistic. Always talking about what we are doing, how we feel. Honestly, I get sick of how much I use the word "I". It's ridiculous. Thanks for making me think about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, yes, yes!

    i so agree!

    "Fellow bloggers, we must, we must re-examine our motives for blogging. Despite our innocent desire to inspire others, our posts often do nothing more than propagate the self..."

    ....this is so true. i am so glad you posted this. i have seen how miss-bloggers out there can make life seem almost too perfect when we know in reality that's not the case.

    keep speaking truth...and glorifying Him while you do so. i'm so thankful there's another who's not afraid to give glory to the Lord, even through photography and other creative outlets.

    blessings!

    p.s. so glad you won the giveaway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is perhaps the most convicting blog post I've read in a long, long time. So, thank you for that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN to that. You are so right! I too of guilty of it. Who am I aiming to please? A bunch of people I don't know or my heavenly Father? Wow. Good stuff. And i think I shall be a follower of your blog. I like what you are all about!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!