July 6, 2012

Today


Do you ever struggle with your faith? I know that I do. The longer I refuse to open his Word, the less I think of him. The longer I cling to my cynicism, the more self-centered I become. How do I break out of that? Is it possible to wake up one day and simply start over, to dive headfirst into a lifestyle of faithfulness to Jesus? Is it strange to say that... feeling constantly broken is comfortable, but the prospect of accepting forgiveness and moving forward is really intimidating? 

A.W. Tozer wrote, "the most portentous fact about any man is not what he at a given time may say or do, but what he in his deep heart conceives God to be like." Today I am challenging my own perception of God, marveling at how small and unappealing I have allowed it to become.

Who is like the LORD our God, who is seated on high, who looks far down on the heavens and the earth? // Psalm 113:5-6 // Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. // Psalm 145:3 // Who is like you, O LORD, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders? // Exodus 15:11

10 comments:

  1. yes. I don't doubt God or get angry or anything like that...I just end up forgetful. you know?

    God is so great to be always receiving us back and giving us reasons to come to Him in confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In January I made my new-years resolution to read my Bible everyday, and have read the entire book by the end of the year. It was a challenge at first, but now In July, it has been such an immense blessing! Once it became a habit, it was no longer a challenge, but such a joy and I wanted to read even more! Even when I would forget to read for a week, God is so faithful and always accepts us, exactly the way we are. So good, hey? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect you and admire you so greatly for your honesty and your ability to speak so candidly.

    You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cait. That means more than you know.

      Delete
  4. I have been feeling EXACTLY like this for weeks. i'm just now starting to get back to where i want to be with God. i don't think it's a coincidence you wrote this post-- I believe I was meant to read it! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, to this. I often feel more comfortable in my brokenness. Moving closer to Him seems like so much work, that I often get so discouraged before I even start. I'm learning that fresh devotion everyday thing and that He can be just as near whether I've had my time in the Word or not. I love that Tozer quote.

    PS: Since you quoted Tozer (this is kinda off topic), you should look up Mark Driscol's sermon on ministry marriages. He mentions Tozer and his marriage in it...I found it very shocking and intriguing. I'd love to know what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look up the sermon, Jen! Thanks!

      Delete

Thank you!