September 11, 2012

9/11 Memorial


Last October, Josh and I flew to New York to spend time with our sisters in Manhattan.  During our stay, Josh and I stood in line to visit the 9/11 Memorial.


I visited Ground Zero with my family in 2002, when I was only 12 years old. The debris was still being carted away. The area was sectioned off with crude, cloaked, chain-link fences, fences which were adorned with a seemingly endless tribute to lost loved ones. I will never forget the "MISSING" posters, the personal photos, the images of Christ bleeding on the cross, the fading flowers which were looped through the fence, the handwritten notes and newspaper clippings which were smeared and crinkled by the rain. It was disturbing. It was real.


Visiting the completed 9/11 Memorial with Josh was a different experience. The site was cleaned up, renewed, and reborn, the frightening graveyard now a place of solace for the broken. As we walked slowly along the fountains and ran our hands over the names (all those names), I couldn't help but notice the aura of the place. It was noticeably quiet, reverent, hopeful.


Joe Daniels, President of the 9/11 Memorial, writes, "Today, we honor the thousands of innocent men, women, and children who were taken from us too soon eleven years ago. Here at the 9/11 Memorial in New York City, we will read their names aloud. We will stand together in silence at six moments, marking when the Twin Towers were struck, the buildings fell, the Pentagon was attacked, and Flight 93 crashed in a Pennsylvania field. Together, we will remember the devastating loss and reflect on the preciousness of life."


He concludes, "On this eleventh anniversary of the September 11 attacks, please join me in remembering those who were lost and how we came together to honor them in the aftermath. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families. The memories of their loved ones live on in our hearts and in the Memorial that bears their names. They will never be forgotten."

Never forget.

15 comments:

  1. I would love to go to this memorial someday in New York. Thanks for posting this and all these beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post in honor of the day. Never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to the memorial but I can imagine what it must feel like to stand there. Never, ever will I forget that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Krysten. I don't think that any of us can forget where we were that day.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. May those affected by the attacks RIP..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to visit the memorial at some point...I am sure it made 9/11 so much more meaningful for you. I don't think any of us will ever forget where we were that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true, Emily. Thanks for stopping by. (I just checked out your blog and look forward to reading more!)

      Delete
  6. Great post! May they all RIP! NICE pictures too

    ZARA gift card giveaway for $400 on
    http://fashion-a-holic.com/2012/09/page/6/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Janet. That is my prayer, also.

      Delete
  7. I really wish I could visit the memorial. So beautiful! Always remember.
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly powerful! The photos hardly capture how massive the fountains were, or how many names were etched onto the surface.

      Delete

Thank you!