September 6, 2012

Back to my roots


My childhood best friend got married this weekend! I flew home to North Carolina and had the honor of standing up as one of her bridesmaids. I can't wait to share the official photographs later on! Her wedding was gorgeous, and the reception was so much fun!

I stayed with my family for the weekend, sleeping in a twin bed in my old bedroom. I'm not going to lie... it felt a little surreal! Despite the busyness of the rehearsal and the wedding day, I was able to sing at my home church on Sunday and spend a quiet afternoon with my parents and younger siblings. It was fun, it was restful, and it was restorative.

I was able to revisit who I was and who I am. I spent the majority of my adolescence attending that church and school, growing up in that house, living amongst those faces. Although Josh and I spent the first few years of our dating relationship in North Carolina, that season now feels distant. Chicago is an entirely different world. I love it here and I thrive here, but I cannot sever my identity from the places I have been, the places where my spiritual mind was developed, my heart stolen, enduring friendships made. North Carolina holds my affections in an irreplaceable way.

I have to admit, though... at the end of the weekend, when I looked out the airplane window and beheld the Chicago skyline glittering in the sun, my heart leapt and I smiled. I was almost home.

8 comments:

  1. great post faith! I love it...and its so very true, NC is our childhood home, but creating new lives on our own is pretty great too. I'm glad you had fun with your family.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coming home for the same reason. I love my hometown, but coming back to OUR home is so much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, going back home is always fun. i love just the familiarity of everything and getting to go down memory lane.
    so beautiful, girl!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! yay for home and weddings and going back to the dear old familiar you. and then returning to who you really are.
    ah, hurrah.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!